“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime”.
While it may require some time and hard work, you can polish your own granite countertops and skip the hassle of having to hire a fabricator. This approach may require some extra tools and materials, but in the grand scheme of things you’ll be saving money.
Here are the extra materials and tools you’ll need to effectively polish your own granite countertops:
- Electric Polisher. Any standard polisher will suffice, nothing higher than 800 RPMs.
- Polishing pads
- Backer pads. Both 7” and 3” (for those tight corners and harder to reach areas)
- Micro-fiber clothes
- Lamb’s wool buffing pads
- A Deep/Deposit Cleaner will remove any excess build up from other chemicals like detergents.
- Neutral pH cleaner. Acidic based cleaners are detrimental to your stone. (read more here)
- Sealants and Finishes
Now that we’ve covered the materials, we’ll go over the polishing process step-by-step:
- Get the excess build-up of chemicals off your granite countertops by using the deep cleaner and electric polisher.
- Let the cleaner dry. Remove the residue from the deep cleaner using the micro-fiber clothes.
- Now you polish! It can usually take 4-6 applications to get the full, completed look so apply as necessary.
- To protect from oil and water stains, you’ll have to apply a sealant after you polish.
- Using your finish and lamb’s wool buffer pad, apply the finishing touches to your countertops to achieve the smoothness granite is known for. Finishes will also protect your granite countertops from finger prints and water deposits for a couple of weeks.
The process of polishing granite countertops can be done in a few hours, so by sticking to this tutorial you can be polishing your granite in no time, never having to hire someone to do it for you ever again.
Refer to our eBooks and free downloadable brochures for exclusive content not found anywhere else on our site! These documents will expedite and facilitate your granite countertop process, so don’t miss out! Download now and contact us today!